Skip to main content

Copyright Guide for Faculty

Copying from Books and Journals for reading lists or GSM Learn

Our CLA licence allows us to copy a chapter from a book, a single case from a law report or an article from a journal for distribution to students. Alternatively up to 10% of a book or journal issue can be copied. The licence only allows us to copy items owned by GSM Library unless we make arrangements to pay a copyright fee.

The licence also allows scanning and we recommend you should use the GSM Digitisation service to provide electronic readings for students contact >< >[linkl]  Also contact the digitisation service if you would like to provide a

For more information about what our CLA licence allows us to copy please click on the CLA Licence tab


Copying from books and journals for reasons other than teaching and learning

College administration: Items covered by the CLA Licence can be copied for internal administrative purposes: learn more on the CLA Licence tab

Fair dealing allows you to copy a small amount from any publication.  This  means you can photocopy  or scan a small amount or quote it /include it in your work if your use meets the criteria for fair dealing  - see the  “Fair Dealing” section of this guide.

The guidance on this page applies to printed books and journals.  You can link to any EBooks or EJournals provided by GSM library. You can also use Open Access EBooks and EJournals as outlined in the Guide to Getting the Most from Free Resources.


GSM London has a licence from The Newspaper Licensing Agency (NLA). This allows the occasional copying and scanning of newspaper articles from national newspapers and magazines listed here: 

The NLA licence allows:

  • photocopying of up to 250 copies of any article of any newspaper included in the NLA licence for the purposes of education, instruction and internal management

  • Upload articles to GSM Learn

  • The use of newspaper articles in workshop or lecture slides

    GSM Library does not need to own the newspaper – you can buy a newspaper or magazine from the list and then copy or scan it. The scanning or copying must take place at GSM premises. This means you could not go to a library outside of GSM to copy from their copy of a magazine or newspaper.

    You must add the following notice to any copies or scans: NLA licensed copy. No further copies may be made except under licence

Other options allows users who register using their GSM email account to share links to articles – including the ability to send a limited number of copies to external  contacts.

Students can also be directed to search for articles on Other newspaper articles are freely available on the internet


Using Government and Official Publications in reading lists

Many Government publications are freely available on the internet and a link to the official webpage can be included in reading lists or other materials.

For other uses

Most UK official publications and public sector information sources are covered by the Open Government Licence or the Open Parliamentary licence meaning that extracts can readily be copied as long as the source is correctly acknowledged. More information about the Open Government Licence and Open Parliament Licence can be seen at the links below. Not all public sector information is covered so do check the "exceptions"  for each licence.


Make sure to check how to reference Public Sector Information

If re-using or copying under the Open Government Licence you must follow the instructions for attributing the source. For some categories of copying or re-use you will need to reference to the Open Government Licence or Open Parliament Licence as well as referencing the source. Follow the links below to find out more about this.


Legislation and other official data in textbooks

Beware that Open Government Licence applies only to the original version published by the official body and carrying a notice stating that the Open Government Licence applies. It does not cover official information reprinted in a textbook or that appear on databases such as Westlaw or Lexis Library. cannot be copied as freely as the version on the Government website as the database or textbook will be covered by copyright restrictions.

Which Books & Journals are included?

1. The item must either be owned by GSM Library or the library must have paid a copyright fee.

2.  There may be some items in GSM Library which may not be copied /scanned because of where they were published or because some publishers are not included in the licence.

Click here to check which countries or publishers are included /excluded

3. The Licence does not cover newspapers, maps or printed music. Please see separate guidance on how to copy from newspapers. Note that the licence only relates to the printed copies of books and journals. Please see separate guidance pages about Ebooks, EJournals and websites.


What can I do with the copies?
Remember that the CLA licence is intended for photocopying and scanning items for either 

  1. Educational purposes as explained in the section on copying books and journals. Each chapter or article must be copied for the students on a specific course of study. At GSM London we ensure this happens by adding a scanned copy to the reading list for a specific module using Talis Aspire reading lists as outlined in the guide to copyright in Reading Lists.  OR
  2. Administrative purposes: CLA materials can be copied by College staff for internal/ administrative purposes.


Acknowledgement - the copyright notice

The CLA requires that material scanned for use in reading lists or lecture slides must contain a specifically worded notice. This is automatically added for you if you request your scanning to be done using the GSM Digitisation Service.

If you scan items items from books or journals to add to lecture slides or presentations, you would need to add the notice manually. This is just one of the reasons why you should not scan items and add them directly to GSM module pages. You should request a digitisation which would normally be made available via the Talis Aspire reading list for the module.

Click here to view the copyright notice you need to use with any material scanned under the CLA licence

Copying from works not covered by the CLA licence

We have a number of options for copying from publications that are not licensed by the CLA or NLA, so please contact if you wish to copy or digitise book chapters, reports or journal articles.

The author of a work is usually the rights owner.

However when you publish a book or journal article, the situation often changes because of the agreement you sign with the publisher. You will need to double-check the agreements you signed with the publisher if you wish to copy from your own published work. You may have signed a Copyright Transfer Agreement which outlines who owns the copyright in your work and what you are allowed to do with it. If you retained 'Exclusive Licence to Publish'   then it is likely you have retained the copyright in the work and can re-use it.

Some journals are published on an 'Open Access' basis which often will allow you to share the article or a draft of it. If GSM Library holds the journal you can copy it under our CLA licence and you can copy small amounts for fair dealing purposes.

There are a number of free tools that can help you check whether you can email or share journal articles:

How Can I Share it? is a tool provided by journal publishers to help you check the status of an article and tell you whether you can share or copy it.

SHERPA ROMEO from Jisc will tell you which version of an article may be copied /shared. If the article can be shared, it tells you which version may be used:

  • "Pre-print" version - a draft of the article that has not yet been peer reviewed
  • "Post-print" version - a version of the article that has been peer-reviewed but is not formated for publication
  • The final article as published in the journal.

Publishing your own work on a creative commons or "open"  basis

Open Content Licensing  (CC BY, CC BY SA, CC 0)

When publishing or sharing your own work online,  you can assign a creative commons license specifying what use can be made of your work. 

Some platforms have functionality that allows you easily to mark your work as creative commons:

YouTube offers a single "Creative Commons" licence.

Wordpress instructions can be seen here: -

If the site or tool you are using does not have a built-in creative commons licensing option, you can use the guidance here:


Loading ...